MPCCC welcomes the latest Victorian Cancer Plan, released today by Victorian Health Minister Jill Hennessy.
The 2016-2020 Victorian cancer plan sets ambitious goals, and provides a framework to improve cancer outcomes for all Victorians.
The plan has a medium-term goal to save 10,000 lives by 2025. Through preventing cancers, detecting cancers earlier, improving treatment and reducing unwarranted variations it aims to avert 10,000 cancer related deaths in the next 10 years.
The report has established set goals and aims to reach the following by 2040:
- halve the proportion of Victorians diagnosed with preventable cancers
- double the improvement in one- and five-year survival of Victorians with cancer
- ensure Victorians have the best possible experience of the cancer treatment and care system
- achieve equitable outcomes for all Victorians.
The plan identifies priorities for actions that build on recent achievements and respond to key challenges across five priority action areas:
- primary prevention
- screening and early detection
- wellbeing and support
Download the Victorian cancer plan 2016–2020 full report